Question
Posted by: j | 2011/03/15

Alkohol

Goeiedag Dokter,

My suster is ''n alkoholis (sy''s 48), maar weier om vir hulp te gaan.

Ons ma was ook ''n alkoholis en ek het destyds met ''n maatskaplike werker gepraat wat gese het daar is ''n plek wat haar teen haar wil kan opneem. Dink dit is magaliesoord of so iets - kan nie onthou nie dit is 17 jaar terug.

Weet u dalk van so plek? Ons is in Pretoria.

Baie dankie.

A family history of alcoholism means an increased risk of it or vulnerability. Treatment of alcoholism without the individual fully accepting that they have this problem and that they sincerely want to get out of it, is usually not successful. I know of Magaliesoord, on the outskirts of Pretoria. I don't know what its rules are ( a current Social Worker would, but my experience of it has been as a place where someone before the courts for some some offense involving or complicated by their alcoholism or drug abuse, could be compulsorily ordered to go for treatment.
Generally, though there is provision in law for compulsory treatment, this involves the provisions of the mental health Act, and that the person is, in the opinion of doctors to be a serious risk to her own life and or that of others, rather than simply a matter of convenience.

1