Question
Posted by: Dic Tator | 2008-11-10

Alienating myself from friends...

Hi Doc,

I have a decent sized group of friends that I see regularly. They' re a mixed bag of nuts.

I am a young professional, I have a career path, went to university, studied my-|-off etc. My friends, are nothing like that. Somehow, I have become friends with people that are not so bright, the lights on, but no one is home type of thing.

Only my closest friend went to university (he is intelligent like myself), I sort of inherited his friends.

My friends mean well, but they are stupid. They can function in society, like most can, but, sometimes, the things that are done, are just an embarrassment... I can' t talk to them about issues affecting the world, I have to always dumb myself down.

I have perfected the art of innuendo, sarcasm etc, where, most normal people will realise it is a joke, but these people don' t see it.

I have known for a long time that I need to breakaway from this group.

I suppose it is a challenge to meet new people and so on. Do you think, that because I am nearing the end of my studying life (as I am now writing my final qualifying exam), that I want these changes or is it just the normal course?

I sometimes feel that I do get judged by people based on my friends.

I just don' t know how I ended up here!

Is this the natural progression of life?

Certainly mis a normal and matural progression in life. And indeed there are occasions in lifer when your friends of the last decade bump into your current friends, and you realize how little they have in common. As we grow and develop, some friends grow and develop in similar directions and remain friends for life --- and you can have, as I have, the delightful experience of meeting them after an interval of decades, and finding them as delightful and close as ever ; and others fade away, to your mutual relief. Don't worry about this. Seek out new friends you will enjoy more, and who will appreciate you more, and gradually let go of the old friends who sound rather like a borrowed bunch, anyway, and set them free

1
Posted by: SR | 2008-11-10

Show me your friends and I' ll show you your destiny

A persons situation is a direct reflection of whom he associates with

Reply to SR