Our expert says:
There are a group of people who meet together to help each other cope with the alcoholic – Al-Anon is a 12 step program that helps you to cope and move on in your life. It is free and everyone there has experienced similar pain to you.
Please see below some info on Al-Anon, I hope this will help you as remember you can not do this alone.
• Will Al-Anon respect my confidentiality and anonymity?
• Can I belong to Al-Anon even if the drinker does not admit to having a drinking problem?
• Can I belong to Al-Anon if the problem drinker does not live with me?
• Will I gain knowledge of the illness of alcoholism?
• Can Al-Anon be contacted by telephone at any time?
The answer to all these questions is Yes!
Is someone's drinking getting to you?
Millions of people are affected by the excessive drinking of someone close.
The following questions are designed to help you decide whether or not you need Al-Anon:
1. Do you worry about how much someone else drinks?
2. Do you feel if the drinker loved you, he or she would stop drinking to please you?
3. Do you have money problems because of someone else's drinking?
4. Are plans frequently upset or cancelled or meals delayed because of the drinker?
5. Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else's drinking?
6. Do you secretly try to smell the drinker's breath?
7. Do you blame the drinker's behaviour on his or her companions?
8. Do you search for hidden alcohol?
9. Do you make threats, such as "If you don't stop drinking, I'll leave you?"
10. Do you often ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking?
11. Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
12. Have you refused social invitations out of fear or anxiety?
13. Have you been hurt or embarrassed by a drinker's behaviour?
14. Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, your other problems would be solved?
15. Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking?
16. Have you considered calling the police for help in fear of abuse?
17. Do you sometimes feel like a failure when you think of the lengths that you have gone to, to control the drinker?
18. Do you even threaten to hurt yourself to scare the drinker?
19. Do you feel angry, confused or depressed most of the time?
20. Do you feel there is no one who understands your problems?
If you answer Yes to three or more of these questions then Al-Anon Family Groups
may be able to help you!
Please call the 24 hour helpline 0861252666.
Or you can contact us at Harmony Clinic on 021 790 7779
Love & Light
The Harmony Team
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.