Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2009-06-17

Alcoholism

Hi There!
I' ve got a problem with my brother. He' s been to rehab more than once, this doesn' t have a lasting effect. At this point in time he is very close to going again, but everyone wants long term results. How does one achieve this?
I personally think that possible reasons for this might be:
* that he doesn' t work
* He' s partner is very hard working and I think he might be scared that if he gets a job it will be a much lower paying job
*perhaps he likes the attention. In general she' s got a way to be very caring. (But now her patience is finished. )
*He has been in this relationship for years. Perhaps there is something wrong with them as a couple.
I must admit I' m tired of this now. He has a lot of talents and it is goind to waste - big time.

Please help.

Far too many rehab programs in SA concentrate on the inpatient episode, and don't provide the all-important follow-up to help the person stay stopped. Apart from needing to continue to look for work, he needs to keep himself wholesomely busy, such as by good volunteer work, so as to have less empty time in which to think o drinking. He is lucky to have a job or to be able to get one, and shouldn't be too fussy --- when he has his drinking fully under control, he can look for job improvements. Some partners, without at all intending it, do indeed help someone to remain alcoholis, acting as an enabler. Any way, to stop drinking, the efort has to come from HIM, and nobody else can do it for him