Question
Posted by: Ann | 2010/06/25

Alcoholic or not?

I don''''t know whether to call my mother an ALCOHOLIC OR NOT. She used to work as a nurse but not she has retired. She is 62 years of age. She used to drink at work. She''''s been on and off sick. The last time she was sick she was hospitalised for 2 weeks, they had to drain water from the lungs. 2 weeks ago she sick and couldn''''t even come out of the bed. They told me that she seemed confused and guess what she''''s back on the booze again while stil on medication. The painful part of all of this is that we can''''t talk to her, she doesn''''t want to listen. if you talk to her she just drops the phone on your ear and the next time you call her she''''s not picking it up. How do you talk to someone like that? Even my brother is not talking to her. Last she took my brother (23) to the doctor and as usual she was drunk and he embrassed her in front of everyone there, talking about a lot of things, some didn''''t make sense. Even the doctor got pissed off and left. It''''s like this booze is making her crazy, she doesn''''t seem normal when she''''s drunk? What can we do?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Ann,

You seem to be in a situation that is not only driving your mother but you and your other family members crazy as well.

Addiction/alcoholism is a family disease and unless you all seek help nothing will change. I would suggest staging an intervention with one of our addiction counselors to try and get your mother and yourselves some help.

Please contact Harmony Clinic on 021 7907779 or e-mail karen@harmonyclinic.co.za.

Karen

1
Posted by: Addictions expert forum | 2010/06/30

Hi Ann,

Karen

Reply to Addictions expert forum