Question

Alcoholic Father - last question...promise!

Doc, you said in the previous reply, that my father might have a personality disorder. Well, that''s what my husband also keeps saying. It''s like he is not in touch at all with other people''s feelings and things, everything in HIS world, revolves around HIM, and anything anyone does, has to be to accomodate HIM, and make HIS life easier. He talks about himself a lot, and I can hardly ever have a converstation with him about things in general, every converstation always ends up being about how sick he is, and how difficult his life is, and everything is just him, him, him all the time. Is there any way that you can speculate on what type of disorder it could be. I''d like to read up on something like that, to be informed. Or would a psychologist or somebody need to evaluate him to establish this. My husband says, from his point of view, my father has got no real consideration/sympathy/empathy towards other people. In a weird way his has, but also he doesn''t???
And one last question: Do you think that mending one problem, it might help the other, like addressing a personality disorder might help addressing the alcoholism problem or vice versa? Or does the one make addressing the other unusually difficult?

There are various possibility. A Sociopathic personality disorder, what used to be called a psychopath, has no empathy or regard for other people's feelings, and is manipulative, charming when it suits him, and focusses entirely on his own wishes.
But obviously, to make any proper diagnosis, he would ned to be assessed in person by a shrink, with his co-operation.
It is very difficult to treat a personality disorder at the best of times, and with full and enthusiastic cooperation from the person himself. Without such copperation, hard work and motivation, it essentially can be treated

1