Question
Posted by: PH | 2010/07/02

Alcoholic drink choices

Hi Diet Doc
Thanks for a super forum and your valuable advice.
I usually drink two drinks when I go out socially: 2 glasses of white/red wine or 2 Windhoek Light beers. Windhoek light:
- 2.4 percent Alcohol by Volume
- Energy Content: app. 27 kcal/100ml  115 kJ/100ml
- Sum of usable Carbohydrates: 3.05 g/100ml
- Protein Content: 0.38 g/100ml
- Fat: Nil
- Fermentable Sugars: 1.09 g/100ml
Which is the better choice when trying to loose weight between the beer or the wine?
Thank you!

Dear PH
Thank you for your kind words which make my week!
According to the SA Food Tables, white/red wine on average contain 300 kJ per 100 ml, which is higher than the energy content of the Windhoek Light beer of 115 kJ per 100 ml. Now you need to determine the volume of beer and wine that you drink. Let's say you have a 300 ml glass of beer (300 x 115 = 345 kJ) compared to 150 ml wine (150 x 300 = 450 kJ) then having the beer would be less fattening than the wine. Measure the 2 different volumes and calculate the total energy content of both the 2 whole beers and the 2 glasses of wine and compare which drinks contain the higher energy content. Strictly speaking the beer has a much lower energy content, but you may drink larger volumes which could provide a higher energy content than the 2 glasses of wine.

1

Dear PH