Posted by: Dee | 2011-09-25

Alcoholic dad

Dear Expert,

My dad is an alcoholic. He''s been to rehab 6 months ag oafter years of drinking and it went well for abbout 2 months then he slowly started drinking again and now he''s back to drinking heavely. When I say heavely : he will drink when he wakes up through the night, be drunk by 9 am, pass out, wake up and start drinking again. So many people has been hurt by his drinking. He wants help but doesn''t think the same rehab centre will help. Will he ever be able to quit? What else can we do or where can we go?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

It sound,s like he is in a complete alcoholic state and he need,s treatment immediatly.

Posted by: Charlotte | 2011-10-05

I have so much sympathy with you, I lost my dad when he was only 52 and my mom when she was 56, both were alcoholics, my dad never acknowledged his addiction and died of gastric cancer. My mom went to a few rehabs but was never able to kick the habit. It is an extremely tough addiction to rehab from and I wish you all the best. Remember rehab centres alone won''t help, they can teach him but abstain from alcohol and his own will is the key to his successful rehabilitation. Good luck!

Reply to Charlotte