Question
Posted by: XXX | 2011/02/21

Alcoholic

Hi I just wanted to find out if it''s possible. My father is an alcoholic and even though he''s not physically abusing, he becomes verbally abusive and sometimes hallucinates and almost strangled me a while ago. We tried to help him but he doesn''t belive he has a problem. My mom wants to leave him but she put a lot of money into the house and she doesn''t want to share the money from selling the house. My father never did anything except destroying us metally. The house is on my mom and my father. Is there a way to get a restriction order and is there a way of my mom keeping the house?

Thank you in advance

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Your mother may apply for a restraining order against him to stop the abuse. The order may also stipulate that he is confined to a ceratin area of the house. If your mother and father are married in community of property she may issue summons on the basis that your father forfeits his share in the house on account of the fact that he never contributed and that he will benefit unduly should they divorce. Best is to see an attorney.
Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys
Skype: divorceattorney

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2011/02/24

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce
Skype: divorceattorney

Reply to family law expert