Question
Posted by: Tania | 2010-08-30

alcoholic?

I dont see myself as an alcoholic - but enjoy a drink from time to time. However, on these occassions (+/- once every 2 months) I tend to go overboard with the alcohol and dont know when to stop. My husband is embarrassed by this as he doesnt drink at all. After a certain point, I blackout completely and no matter what anyone tells me the next day I dont remember. I dont have a hangover the next day though. Could this be signs of alcoholism?? I am 34 yrs old and have a dad who is a recovering alcoholic.

Alcoholism is a weasel word, the way most people use it. we tend to see other people as alcohol;ics, while we ourselves, whatever our intake, are just someone who "enjoys a drink from time to time".
But you are describing the situation of being a problem drinker and a binge drinker. You may not drink often, but apparently when you do, you drink too much, to the point that it embarrasses your husband and causes problems.
Blackouts are usually a significant and ominous sign that the alcohol is affecting your brain unfavourably, and that stopping the drinking woul be an excellent idea.
And if there is ANY alcoholism in the family, your risk of alcoholism and problem drinker is higher.
If you are able to stop drinking alcohol altogether, entirely on your own, that'd be useful ; and if you don't usually drink in a significant qwuantity every day, you may be able to stop without other problems. Staying stopped is the real necessity, though.
If there are any complications or difficulties with doing this, seek the help of a shrink with an interest in substance abuse problems, and work with such help to stop dinking and stay off it. Your brain doesn't need the alcochol, and will be grateful to be free from it.

2
Posted by: Alcoholic2 | 2010-09-01

Whenever ur behaviour when drinking, affects your relationship,job,marriage,etc...alcohol becomes a problem,no matter if u only drink twice a month. If you cant control your alcohol intake,and get so drunk that you cant remember anything,and embarrass yourself and partner,you are heading for bigger problems,trust me, rather quit while u can,,,if you cant stick to 1 or 2drinks or dont know when to stop! It only takes one night in 2months or even years of being so drunk, that you do something you''ll regret for the rest of your life, especially when you cant even remember the details.

Reply to Alcoholic2