I really don' t know what to do more. My father is an alcoholic and have been for, well since I can remember. He is divorced from my mother, not working and given notice at his 3 place to move out. He has fallen many times and broken just about every bone in his body. I support him through he hospital and recovery and everythinggoes well for a whileand then it is back to normal, drinking.

I was called yesterday to be informed of how much he is drinking now again and told them not to phone me again unless I can arrange the funeral. I am finished, don' t know what else to do, he doesn' t want to be helped and hides everything from. The last time he broke his hip and only called me after being in hosp for 4 days?!?!? Can you imagine how popular this daughter was with the nurses. I am done, but keep feeling guilty.

He will never stop drinking until he decides he really has to. The periods in hospital are useless unless there is intensive followup and hard work by himm after discharge, including acamprosate or other meds to reduce the risk of relapse, strong involvement in AA, and working with a counsellor. If he's not prepared to do this, you cannot do it for him, and I understand your frustration and wanting to give him up. Do NOT feel guilty, that doesn't help anyone. Part of the problem may be that you feel far too guilty, and he doesn't feel guilty enough