Question
Posted by: Maria | 2009/02/08

Alcohol withdrawal - wants to sleep

My daughter belongs to Sanca and is on antibooze tablets, since mid December last year, she wants to sleep excessively, and sleeps very deeply, is this normal? I also thought that the body could heal itself better during sleep. Is that correct? Thanks very much. Maria

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Alcohol has numerous effects, including on the brain. Her excessive sleepiness may well be from the alcohol withdrawal. However, it should then start settling. There may, of course, be all sorts of other reasons for the sleepiness, and if it continues she should be checked out by her GP for other things which may be doing it.