Question
Posted by: anne | 2012/07/30

alcohol using up our savings

Hi. My bf and I contribute to an account which pays for our groceries and entertainment. Im staying with him, so I contribute a bit more than he does to this account as it is for living expenses for me as well such as water, electricity, rent. The problem is that when we go out to eat, he drinks up a storm. I am not a big drinker but he will drink like R200 worth of alcohol in one night out, where I will drink maybe R80 or not even. This is depleting our budget at a fast rate. When he sees the bill for our nights out he is shocked, but come next time, he does the same thing. How do I raise this with him without him getting defensive about it? Thanks.

Maybe you two need to re-negotiate the basic agreement, to exclude restaurant drinks or indeed alcohol, from being chargeable to the shared account ? Are there other sins that he actually has a drinking problem ?

2
Posted by: Callie | 2012/07/31

Maybe you should each have a tab for drinks when you go out, that way he will realise that he is spending (wasting) way too much money on drinks.

Reply to Callie