Posted by: zaza | 2012-12-05

Alcohol risk

Hi there,

i''m 19 weeks pregnent, and want to know if my unborn are at risk because before i nkew i was preg i used to drink lot and lot of whisky and spirits, so would like to know if this will pouse any risks.

Dear Zaza
Exposure to alcohol in pregnancy irrespective of dosage can be linked to foetal alcohol syndrome. The fact that it is not necessarily dose related implies that there may well be an inherent susceptibility, and therefore one cannot be certain as to the effect until the birth of the child. I am not aware of any specific test that can be done during the cause of the pregnancy to definitively confirm or exclude this diagnosis
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim