Question
Posted by: Worried | 2008/08/20

Alcohol induced rash

Hello there,

For about a year now I' ve been having a problem. Whenever I drink spirits my face gets hot and I often get this red rash on my face and neck, I' m only 21 and it was never a problem before, I used to drink like a fish and drink any and everything with no problems but now I can only drink beer as any spirits seem to bring on this rash. I' m getting very self conscious about it and I really need some advice. A friend of mine mentioned something called hives?

Looking forward to your reply

Dear Worried
It could be due to inability of the liver to metabolize alcohol - your liver enzymes may not be working 100% - can be tested by a liver function test. Your GP will be able to check this for you. Hives are very itchy red and swollen spots on the skin, I don't think what you describe sounds like hives? Chronic drinkers sometimes develop permanent dilated veins on the face but you are too young for this I think!

6
Posted by: TB | 2009/04/06

PLease advise on what to buy for my vein

Reply to TB
Posted by: Burns | 2008/08/25

Hey hey mr brany....or is it brainy????

very funny!!!!!

Reply to Burns
Posted by: brany | 2008/08/23

its called a brandy rash!!!!!

Reply to brany
Posted by: Burns | 2008/08/22

For the last 2 months I have been having similar symptoms and am not sure what the possible cause could be. I am 25 years old and alcohol has never had this effect on me in the past and I am quite worried that it might have now. But what worries me is that it does not always happens after a drinking spree. It only happens sometimes even after 2 or 3 beers.

Reply to Burns
Posted by: Dr Bets | 2008/08/21

Hi K
It may be due to the alcohol content of the drink. Try eating something with fat like peanuts before drinking - it slows the absorbtion of the alcohol a bit.

Reply to Dr Bets
Posted by: Worried | 2008/08/21

Many thanks Dr Bets,

I only drink on the weekends, if it' s my liver enzymes then why does it not happen when I drink beer? Is it beacuse of the lower alcohol concentration? So any GP could do this test? Is there anything that can be done about it though?

Kind Regards,
K

Reply to Worried