Question
Posted by: BI | 2009-05-05

Alcohol - how to stop

How does one stop alcohol. It' s so warm and conforting going down and it instantly relaxes me and I become charming when usually I' m moody and unfriendly and FAR too serious.
I have a problem. I want it even when I' m not in a social group. I' m addicted. It' s bad for my eyesight, my brain, my immune system is depleted. How do I stop?

Is there a secret magic pill that could make you violently ill every time you touch alcohol?

CBT ( Copgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) can much more economically ( in the long run ) help you learn to relax, show your charm, and be friendly and enjoyable --- and causes no liver damage ! You are wise to recognize the risks of alcohol abuse, and that you may well be an abuser already. There's no secret magic pill, and counselling is important as well, but see a good local psychiatrist for assessment and advice --- there are 2 meds that can be helpful. One makes you feel very sick if you take alcohol ( which helps you to stay stopped ) the other more subtly stops alcohol from making you feel better, removing its temptation factor. You also need advice on stopping gradually ( sudden stopping can cause problems, as you surely know ) and on nutrition to replace what alcohol may have lost for you.

2
Posted by: EX Very Serious Drinker | 2009-05-15

I drank heavily for years. I also went through rehabilitation years ago and never drank again. The main thing, even with rehab, is a very conscience decision to stop. All the therapy in the world will not help if you do not decide to stop. I see the rehab therapy as help, not the actual answer. Just my opinion from experience. All the best

Reply to EX Very Serious Drinker

yes there is...google it.....makes u throw up if you touch a drop