Question
Posted by: Noella | 2011/05/19

Alcohol headache

I used to get the most terrible headaches when consuming alcohol. Even before emptying the first glass of wine the headache would start and that would be the end of the party for me. I discovered that taking a Migril tablet prevents this and since then my life has changed around. These days I enjoy the party with my husband and friends without the dreaded headaches. My only concern is whether this is safe. I use Migril 3 or 4 times a week, I take a tablet when I know we are about to have a drink. Is this dangerous?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Noella,

Migril contains a substance called ergotamine, which constricts the arteries, and prevents their wall from stretching and becoming painful when you drink alcohol. The problem with ergotamine though is that it causes what is known as Rebound Headache - regular use actually makes the headaches worse and more frequent. This is even worse when ergotamine is combined with caffeine, as with Migril. The best way to solve your problem is to treat the source of your pain – the arteries. If you need to know more please contact me on 0825555763.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/05/20

Dear Noella,

Reply to Headache expert