Question
Posted by: Quit on your own | 2011/02/22

alcohol and sigarettes

Is it possible to quit on your own? I''m using the above for 15years now,i know i can do it without going to rehab or use patches,i only drink and smoke occasionally when i''m with friends or when i''m alone at home and bored which only happens when hubby works out(once a month)...and thats where my problem comes in,it''s as if i cant wait to take my first puff and have my glass of wine and enjoy my alone time. I''ve tried2 break these habbits,but is it really that bad to smoke and drink once a month..hubby knows about it, and when we are with friends i never caused him any harm or embarresed him when i''m tipsy or even drunk,that''s why he says he does not have a problem with me drinking and smoking as long as i shower and brush my teeth before bed, so i have all these excuses to justify not wanting to completely quit,as i dont do it that often,but today i''ve just decided not to do it any more, so i list all interesting and healthy stuff to do and eat while i''m alone, what other support do i need to quit for i dont have children and are all by myself when he''s working and all our friends are smokers and drinkers so i cant even phone or visit them

Some people manage to do it on their own, some don't. As quitting is so important, so good for your health and such a money-saver, if its proving difficult on your own, doing so with expert help is still very much worth it.

And work on alternatives. Other things to do when you're feeling bored at home, rather than drink or smoke. Surely there are hobbies, friends to visit or invite in, DVDs to watch, whatever ?

When you ask : "is it really that bad to smoke and drink once a month" that's not the right question - it depends on how much you drink. With alcohol, if you can limit it to a couple of modest-sized glasses of wine ( restaurants have tried to teach us wine glasses should be gigantic ) once a week, that may even be mildly healthy.

For smoking, tobacco or marijuana, there is no safe or healthy amount. Obviously smaller amounts and less often, is better than larger amounts and more often, but none is the best of all from the point of view of health.

It sounds as though, like many of us, being busy, it seems natural that one should be able to greatly enjoy time spent alone, but in fact its not always all that enjoyable, and one may feel lonely and bored, and needs to fin better alternatives. And some non-smoking and non-drinking friends could be handy !

2
Posted by: Romany | 2011/02/22

I see no problem. Once a month...hey why not? You certainly are not addicted to smoking or drinking..
As far as damage to your health goes.... driving through the city causes more damage.
Enjoy, relax, unwind...

Reply to Romany