Question
Posted by: Hans | 2012-04-02

Alcohol and psychiatric meds

I am currently on Valdoxan, a low dossage of Risperdal and Convulex for Bipolar. I am just wondering what the effects of these meds are when drinking alcohol. I must stress that I really do abuse alcohol and only enjoy the odd ice cold beer on a hot day or a glass of good red wine with the right meal. I''ve read that drinking can have adverse effects on your meds and if neccecary I would stop having these occasional drinks completely.

You can usefully take it as a good rule that there are no drugs which mix usefully with alcohol, and with antidepressants, they generally reduce the effectiveness of the drugs, and may increase side-effects such as drowsiness or incoordination. And of course in manic phases of bipolar disorder, alcohol tends to cause disinhibition, which isn't useful then !
I have been impressed by the initial information about Valdoxan, but haven't seen any specific information suggesting that it would combine better with alcohol.
Better to give yourself the best chance of recovery by limiting alcohol intake.

1