Posted by: Desperate Mother | 2009-07-29

Alcohol &  Antidepressants

My son of 34 has been admitted to a rehab facility after some psychotic episodes, including attempted suicide. He has been prescribed Seroquel and Cilift. What is the effect of taking these together with alcohol

me is right, it depends on how much alcohol, but for effective treatment of depression, NO alcohol should be taken ---it is a depressing drug in itself, and it prevents antidepressants from working properly, lessening the benefits and increasing the side-effects. Discuss this with his doc, who should explain that it is pointless to take ANY of these meds during a drinking binge.
I don't know what you mean by "mitigating factor" as that would make things better --- alcohol would be a aggravating factor in the other problems you mention.

Posted by: Desperate M | 2009-07-29

He went on a ' binge of note'  I think he was drinking anything and everyting, couldn' t remember what he had done- a 5 day black out. I wondered what the combination of that much alcohol and randomly taking his drugs because he couldn' t remember what he had taken would do. Would this be a mitigating factor in his psychotic incidents, violence, verbal abuse. He was in rehab last year fro alcohol and cocaine abuse and had done well in recovery but this was a huge relapse. He only went on teh Seroquel and Cilift after his last rehab.

Reply to Desperate M
Posted by: me | 2009-07-29

Not good, but it depends how much he drinks...a single glass of wine or one beer wont do much damage - but if its a 6 pack or a bottle of wine then its not a good combination

Reply to me