Posted by: Brandy | 2009-07-01

Alcohol after exercise.

Dear Doc. I like to take 2 tots of spirit alcohol, eg brandy, after my exercise sessions in the evenings (with diet soda). I work out for 30 minutes on the treadmill most evenings. I read somewhere that alcohol destroys muscle tissue. Is this true? Am I undoing all my hard work with my drink and drinking away my muscles? PS I am female, mid 30' s. Kind regards, Brandy

Dear Brandy
Alcohol does not really "destroy" muscle tissue, but it is not really a good idea to have 2 tots of spirits after an exercise session because alcohol has a high energy content (29 kJ per gram, which is second only to fat which contains 37 kJ per gram). In addition, alcohol dehydrates the body which will make your post-exercise dehydration worse. The best post-exercise regimen is to drink water for rehydration or an energy drink to replace your muscle glycogen, and to have a light, high-carb meal. Rather have your drinks on days when you don't exercise, such as perhaps over weekends.