Question
Posted by: AJ | 2011/06/28

Alcohol addction

My wife likes to drink 2 glasses of wine when she gets off work, says it relaxes her. I''m scared it might form an addiction. I dont see any wrong over it on a Friday afternoon. But every day of the week scares me, am I wrong?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Good Morning and thank you for your post.

We suggest your wife takes a look at the following questions:

Alcohol consumption can vary from person to person, we suggest answering the questions below which will give you a clearer understanding as to whether alcoholism / addiction applies to you.

Answer yes or no to the following seven questions. Most questions have more than one part, because everyone behaves slightly differently in addiction. You only need to answer yes to one part for that question to count as a positive response.

Tolerance. Has your use of alcohol increased over time?

Withdrawal. When you stop drinkning, have you ever experienced physical or emotional withdrawal? Have you had any of the following symptoms:
irritability, anxiety, shakes, sweats, nausea, or vomiting?

Difficulty controlling your drinking. Do you sometimes drink more or for a longer time than you would like? Do you sometimes drink to get drunk? Do you stop after a few drink usually, or does one drink lead to more drinks?

Negative consequences. Have you continued to drink even though there have been negative consequences to your mood, self-esteem, health, job, or family?

Neglecting or postponing activities. Have you ever put off or reduced social, recreational, work, or household activities because of your drinking?

Spending significant time or emotional energy. Have you spent a significant amount of time obtaining, using, concealing, planning, or recovering from your drinking? Have you spent a lot of time thinking about drinking? Have you ever concealed or minimized your drinking? Have you ever thought of schemes to avoid getting caught?

Desire to cut down. Have you sometimes thought about cutting down or controlling your drinking? Have you ever made unsuccessful attempts to cut down or control your drinking?

If you answered yes to at least 3 of these questions, then you meet the medical definition of addiction. This definition is based on the of American Psychiatric Association (DSM-IV) and the World Health Organization (ICD-10) criteria.(1). We would then suggest that you call Harmony Clinic on 021 790 7779 to speak confidentially to our Clinical Director.

For yourself AJ please read the following:

Is someone's drinking getting to you?
Millions of people are affected by the excessive drinking of someone close.
The following questions are designed to help you decide whether or not you need Al-Anon - a Twelve Step Fellowship of men and women that have a loved one addicted to alcohol:
1. Do you worry about how much someone else drinks?
2. Do you feel if the drinker loved you, he or she would stop drinking to please you?
3. Do you have money problems because of someone else's drinking?
4. Are plans frequently upset or cancelled or meals delayed because of the drinker?
5. Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else's drinking?
6. Do you secretly try to smell the drinker's breath?
7. Do you blame the drinker's behaviour on his or her companions?
8. Do you search for hidden alcohol?
9. Do you make threats, such as "If you don't stop drinking, I'll leave you?"
10. Do you often ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking?
11. Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
12. Have you refused social invitations out of fear or anxiety?
13. Have you been hurt or embarrassed by a drinker's behaviour?
14. Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, your other problems would be solved?
15. Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking?
16. Have you considered calling the police for help in fear of abuse?
17. Do you sometimes feel like a failure when you think of the lengths that you have gone to, to control the drinker?
18. Do you even threaten to hurt yourself to scare the drinker?
19. Do you feel angry, confused or depressed most of the time?
20. Do you feel there is no one who understands your problems?

If you answer Yes to three or more of these questions then Al-Anon Family Groups
may be able to help you!
Please call the 24 hour helpline 0861252666.
Or you can contact us at Harmony Clinic on 021 790 7779

Wishing you the warmest of regards
The Harmony Team

3
Posted by: AJL | 2011/07/04

My husband drinks 7-9 bottles whisky in a week. According to him it is okay..

Reply to AJL
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011/06/29

Is someone's drinking getting to you?
8. Do you search for hidden alcohol?

may be able to help you!

Wishing you the warmest of regards
The Harmony Team

Reply to Addictions expert
Posted by: Charlie | 2011/06/28

I also have two glasses of red wine while preparing our evening meal every evening after work, in summer I will mix the red wine with soda water and lots of ice, very refreshing! My husband has two whisky''s(single tots) with soda and we have been doing this for years now, in my opinion it does relax us and we have a good chat about our day at work and enjoy our supper!

Reply to Charlie