Posted by: lyn | 2013-02-02

please can you give me some guidence steps to follow. a friend of mine is an alcoholic from what i can work out, he drinks in the morning. it is very distressing as he drinks vodka in the small bottles and then hides them away. if i find one he always says it was long ago. i know he is lying to me, but to what point do i have to get to push him away. he keeps promising to stop and says he can but i never see it happening. i have spoken to him about going to AA but of course he reckons he is not that.
do i have to cut all ties or what can i do from here on?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Dear Lyn,

Your friend is obviously a chronic alcoholic and as with most people in denial you have to create a crisis situation in his life.

Our recommendation would be that you bring him in for an intervention and tell him that if he does not agree to come and speak to one of our counselors you will need to terminate the friendship as you are not prepared to sit back and watch him kill himself.

You can contact us on 0217907779.

Posted by: Stormysea | 2013-08-07

Contact Sanca in Johannesburg, they have an outpatient department. Horizon Clinic in Boksburg can probably also assist.

Reply to Stormysea
Posted by: lyn | 2013-02-05

i am in johannesburg. do you have someone i can talk to up here?

Reply to lyn