Question
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/03/04

alcohol

Good day dr Ingrid

Welcome back. I almost start answering all the questions on your behalf, but nobody asked questions........so borring.

What is the best option if you want to drink something but still dont want to pick up weight?

My choices of alcoholic beverages are:
1) semi sweet white wine - but i know wine contains alot of sugar.
2) Whiskey with tab - Tab is suger free and caffeine free. Is this a better option? How many calories got a single whiskey with tab?

I dont mix my drinks. I stick to one type. Dont do the shooters and liquer thing.

I also know that if you want to loose weight badly you need to compromise and give up certain " luxuries" . And i am sure alcohol will be one of them.

Enjoy your weekend!!

Dear Annemarie
I'm glad to hear that I was missed! The best drinks choices when you are trying to lose weight are non-alcoholic, artificially sweetened drinks! However if you need to have the occasional alcoholic drink (remember each gram or ml of alcohol provides 29 kJ which is second only to fat which provides 37 kJ per gram!), then here are the various energy contents of the drinks you suggest: Semi-sweet white wine contains about 300 kJ per 100 ml; whiskey contains 1044 kJ per 100 ml. However you may drink 250 ml of the wine (750 kJ) and only 30 ml of the whiskey (313 kJ), so if you only have one drink then the whiskey and Tab option is lower in energy. If you dilute the white wine with 50% soda or ice then you can also reduce the energy content down to about 375 kJ.
I hope you also have a good weekend

1

Dear Annemarie
I hope you also have a good weekend