Question
Posted by: ANON | 2010-04-01

ALCOHOL

I go through the whole week not drinking. When it comes to Friday or Saturday I like to relax and unwind from the week and have a few drinks. But the few turns into more and before I know it, it was too many and when awaking on Saturday or Sunday morning I am like Oh my god, what happened, how did I even get into my bed!! The worst of all is that we would either be at home or at a friends and my children are with us and of course they see Mom very drunk - then I go through the rest of the week feeling very guilty and foolish. Sometimes I can have a few and stop. I usually on drink on weekend Friday and sometimes Saturday. Sunday if I am in the mood will have 2 -3 drinks then stop. Why can I not do this every time I want to have a few drinks? How can I help myself to stop drinking too many? It seems like I get hyper on a Friday and just wanna party.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Anon

Binge drinking is as bad as constant drinking. Simple as that. Not only physically, but also psychologically.

Just look at the remorse you feel every time this happens. Slowly the shame will get worse and so will the inevitable damage to your organs.

Bad news is that alcohol damages women physically very, very quickly. But what about your children? Can you imagine how horrified they must be?

They will have long-term psychological problems if you do not sort this out ASAP. No more bargaining by fooling yourself and saying, Oh dear, this is only a weekend thing.

A weekend thing for you, a permanent thing for your children, specifically when they start showing anti-social behaviour.

Feeling guilty is going to get you nowhere, you will have to stop. This has nothing to do with moralising or being holier than thou.

You chose to have children, now do the next right thing: protect them from your weekend binging by stopping.

If Fridays are triggers, plan something that does not involve alcohol. Take your kids to a movie and then go straight to bed. Read a good book.

Go to a play, or take the kids for a walk somewhere interesting. Sit down and make a list of options.

Write down on a piece of paper how you feel every time you get faceless in front of your poor children. Keep that note in your handbag.

Google the effects of binge drinking and print that out. Keep it next to your bed. While you're at it, Google the effect of drunkenness in front of your children. It won't make for a giggle and a laugh, believe me.

If you can't stop drinking, I'm afraid you will need to talk about this to someone.

You have done the right thing to reach out for help. Many people wait until it's too late. Just stop.

Starting this Friday. If you can't, email me at herman@harmonyclinic.co.za

Best of luck

2
Posted by: ANON | 2010-04-01

Thank you. I totally get and understand. That is exactly what I was thinking, changing what I do on a Friday night - going to movie whatever just make a change. That is what is worrying me the most the damage already done, I know they must be horrified as I am. Thank you again and I will start this Friday.

Reply to ANON
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010-04-01

Hello Anon

Best of luck

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum