Posted by: Pink | 2009-03-20

What happens when you have alcohol with your antidepressants?

Bad things. The intereactions can hav a number of bad effects --- you get drunker than usual, you lose the beneficial effects of the antidepressants, and alcohol messes up the brain chemicals you need to get right, and is a depressant itself. YOu only feel slightly better when you drink, because the first parts of the brain it depresses are your higher "sensible" centres, so you feel unrealistically cheerful for a while, and are much less critical of how you may be messing up.

Posted by: badcombo | 2009-03-20

not a good idea to mix the two together, alcohol is a depressant - it depresses your central nervous system and also fiddles with the dopamine in your brain (thats why you feel nice when you drink) aswell as expanding the blood vessels in your brain if you over do it... antidepro messes with dopamine and serotonin....

Reply to badcombo
Posted by: Boblina | 2009-03-20

You should aparently never do that. However I do it and it does nothing to me, I guess its different for everyone?

Like some meds say do not operate heavy machinery when taking them? I take them and feel no diff' s.

Reply to Boblina