Our expert says:
Alcohol is metabolised by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver at a fixed rate per hour. If you have overindulged and ingested a large quantity of alcohol the liver will still have metabolised it within approx. 24 hours.
The damage which excessive alcohol intake can do to the liver can of course be long-lasting or even permanent (e.g. fatty infiltration of the liver or cirrhosis). In addition, the fat that is formed because of an excess intake of energy (alcohol contains 29 kJ per gram, second only to fat which contains 37 kJ per gram), may of course be stored indefinitely in the body. There should be no difference in consuming unflavoured sparkling water or still water. Sparkling water has just got carbon dioxide added to it.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.