Question
Posted by: mommaduarte | 2004/02/10

Q.

Albino Chihuahua

I have attempted to investigate the good and bad information about albino dogs. Is this a good or bad trait? does being an albino chihuahua give moore value to the dog? What care do the albino dogs need?

Expert's Reply

A.

Albinoism results in the complete absence of pigment, also including the eyes. This may result in various problems including extreme susceptibility to sunburn and resultant skin cancer and damage to the retinas. It is certainly not a trait that should be pursued in breeding, in my opinion and should detract from a dog's value, not add to it.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

Want to comment?