Question
Posted by: Hot under the collar! | 2009-10-26

Aircon Tempreture in the Office

Could I please get some advice regarding the ideal working tempreture to be set on the aircon thermostat. I sit in the office sweating all day, the heat is unbearable, and whenever I turn the thermostat down, it' s adjusted back up the moment I sit down. I' m trying not to be difficult about it or upset others, but the way I see it, if you' re feeling cool, you' re in a situation where additional clothing will warm you up. I' m unable to get undressed. And I sit suffering in silence. How do I remedy this?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Always has been,a;ways will be a source of office conflict! The basic understanding is that the work environment must be safe and healthy. Unfortunately we all have different views as to what is comfortable. You all need to sit down and try and come to some consensus.

3
Posted by: Ellenor | 2010-01-09

I also have the too cold, and blowing right onto me issue. There are 6 aircons in the (huge, open) office, but only " my"  one works properly despite technicians coming in to " fix"  the problem. Because the other aircons don' t work too well, the temperature on mine is being turned to 21 C, while it continues to blow right on my back, and it is not possible too change the direction it blows. This matter has even been taken up to director' s level, and his response - " At least it keeps the people awake" ! I' m experiencing pain in my shoulders and neck, my neck is stiff, and am continuously using headache tablets (more frequently and in higher doses than healthy or prescribed). I can' t move elsewhere, as our furniture is interlocked, and various departments are grouped together. If I move away, I will not be sitting in my department, and this will cause a break down in official communication. Is my only option really to change my job, or is there something I can do? I would like to keep this job, as there is a lot of scope for advance. I have many years of work experience (with blue chip companies) and this is the first time I' m encountering this problem.

Reply to Ellenor
Posted by: Vixen | 2009-11-24

I had the same problem but in my case it was too cold and It blew ontop of me and blew all my paper work out of proportion, I called our HR in and he suggested that I should move my desk, I did that and problem solved, everyone' s happy :-)

Reply to Vixen
Posted by: office | 2009-11-13

Room temperature is the ambient recommended temp : 22 -23 degrees.
I agree - those who find 22 too cold can put on a jersey.
The aircon service provider should be able to provide your company with an objective guide on this. Ask your office manager to arrange for this and then place a note on / near the aircon advising all of the recommendation of the supplier.

Reply to office