Question
Posted by: Amei | 2010/07/01

Air Travelling during 3rd trimester

I''m planning to travel from JHB to ELS on my 35th week using an airoplane. It''s about 1h30 mins. People had been telling me about putting my unborn child at risk, they mentioning low pressure &  lack of oxygen that can affect my child. the other option I have is to take a bus &  it''ll b 11hrs trip. I''m fit without complications. Are there risks in flying???

Most airlines don't let you fly at that late stage, mainly because of the chance of labour or any complication arising.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/07/02

The bus trip would pose a lot more risk.

Flying itself doesn''t pose any risks for your unborn child. However, sitting still for long periods does up the risk of deep vein thrombosis, and when you are pregnant you are already at slightly higher risk of this.
So, someone who sits at their desk all day, goes on long flights, bus journeys or car journeys needs to get up and move their legs around at least every 2 hours to lessen the chances of this happening.
Deep vein thrombosis is fairly rare anyway. There was that girl who got it a few years ago that made headline news, and I know of someone from my ante-natal classes who had it happen, but it wasn''t during her pregnancy and she had not flown anywhere. If it was that common, we''d all know someone or a few people who it had happened to.

I flew from Joburg to Durban when I was 36 weeks pregnant.

I wouldn''t fly after 38 weeks, just purely so I wasn''t far from my gynae.
Airlines don''t like you to fly on internatinal flights in the third trimester - not becaue it is unsafe for you or baby, but because if you give birth on the plane you might sue them if something goes wrong during the birth.

Mostly the cabin crew will be quite helpful when you are heavily pregnant. When I landed after my flight, I asked a BA woman at the luggage counter to help with my suitcase. I got a death stare and a sigh, but she did it. I didn''t say a word but wish I''d phoned BA/Comair to complain about her rudeness. I was just so tired I didn''t have the energy to moan about the cow. It was 7 years ago and I''m still upset. I was a day away from 38 weeks when I flew back from Durban to Joburg.

Reply to Purple