Posted by: Shelby | 2010-04-26

Air Pollution

Hi there,

We live near the Sappi paper mill and a steel manufacturing plant. I have heard that sulphur dioxide is emitted and can cause respiratory illnesses.

My whole family suffers from a mucous problem and my mother has asthma. As soon as we go away, the problem is solved. Is there anything I can to in my house to " clean"  the air? Is there something that can break down this gas and make breathing more pleasant?

Thank you.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It's likely there are higher levels of industrial air pollutants in your area (relative to urban areas generally, which are all polluted), and sulphur dioxide would be one of these. A variety of pollutants could be contributing to your family's respiratory problems. Keep in mind that indoor air pollution could also be contributing -mould, allergens like animal dander, and tobacco smoke. (Have a look at Health24's 'Healthy Home' section for tips: Usually the recommendation is to promote air flow from outside and through the house; however, if you live where the outdoor air quality is really poor, there is evidence that a well-maintained air-conditioner can help (although air con should be avoided if possible because it contributes to emissions overall). Air purifiers are controversial, and I wouldn't like to recommend a brand without a respiratory expert's endorsement. For example, I would avoid air ionizers and devices that claim to increase ozone levels. I am going to make some enquiries about this, which I will post in due course on the forum. Please also contact me on email so that I can follow up on this with you.