Posted by: Misty B | 2009-08-03

We are looking into AI or IUI as it is apparently now called. We have been given a list of tests to do before even seeing a fertility specialist - the cost is about R3000 for these tests. Then they have told us that the procedure itself will be about R4000. What I need to know, is, are there further tests that will be done during the whole process? What final cost are we looking at (assuming there are no problems that need serious attention)

Dear Misty B

Firstly, fertility treatment costs are not regulated and differ from centre to centre. Thus, it is not always easy to predict final cost outcomes. However, from my experience I would assume the tests for R3000 would include firstly, a hormonal profile or blood tests checking for any abnormality of the menstrual cycle hormones and in addition it will alert us to whether ovulation is taking place and whether there are any thyroid abnormalities. Then the other tests that are also included in his amount, which should cost around R1000, includes a semen analysis and a full semen analysis would cost anything between R500-R700 and then a HSG which is an X-ray to assess the patency of the fallopian tubes would cost around R700-R1500. The costs of an artificial insemination cycle with either a natural cycle or the use of Clomiphene citrate would be in the region of R1500.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo