Posted by: Eve | 2009-01-28

AI costs using donor sperm

Hi Doc,

Please can you help. I would like to know how much artifical imsemination with donor sperm costs approx.?

TTC History:
Me: 29 yrs
Hubby: 34 yrs
TTC for about 3 years –  went to doc in June 2008, for tests.
Health –  Me: All tests came back fine –  my gynae is happy with my results. Ovulating. Cycle is 29 days.
Health –  Hubby: Semen analysis –  azoospermia (no sperm present), varicoceles was found in left testicle. Testes found to be too small. Dr operated and removed varicoceles and did biopsy –  found no sperm still.

So, we have decided to opt to use donor sperm. I would like to know what the costs and success rates are first before speaking to my gynae. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks so much

Dear Eve

The cost depends on the type of ovulation induction protocol that would be used. In the initial treatment you could opt for a natural cycle insemination with donor sperm and this should no cost more than R2000. However, if ovulation induction methods are to be used the cost may be approximately R5000. The stimulated cycle are usually reserved for previous failed natural cycles and the success rate in a stimulated cycle is certainly higher than that in a natural situation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim