Question
Posted by: Chandra | 2010/02/09

AI

Dear Doc

I am a single 37 year old who would like to have a baby. I have type two diabetes and suffer from high blood pressure. I wrote before on on another forum and was ceremoniously told not to even bother. This has put me off so much that I don' t even want to bring up this topic with my GP or Gynaecologist. I do understand that there are increased risks associated with pregnancies of women with these conditions, however, being a mother is so very much important to me.

In your opinion, would I waste my time in approaching a clinic wrt arteficial insemination (donor)? What are the costs usually associated with such a procedure?

Dear Chandra

I don’t think that you will be wasting you time in approaching a clinic with respect to artificial insemination using donor sperms the costs of procedures with artificial insemination with donor sperms would range from clinic to clinic but I assume it would be in the region of R1000-R2000. I would agree with the other doctors that having a pregnancy with diabetes and high blood pressure would certainly be a high risk pregnancy and in addition being 37 years old may increase your risk of certain congenital problems.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

3
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/02/16

Dear Chandra

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: J | 2010/02/14

Hi. I think that if you have your blood press and diabetes under control, then go for it.

Reply to J
Posted by: Lilly | 2010/02/10

Chandra go for it if you really want a child. Or you can always adopt.

Reply to Lilly