Question

Agressive Labrador

Please can you help. We have had a golden labrador since a puppy. My husband and I are middle aged and this dog has been like a child to us and even sleeps on our bed. We have never had him neutered. We recently went to Europe for five weeks and returned 3 weeks ago. Last night our labrador wanted to attack my husband out of the blue. We are concerned at this sudden sign of aggression and need some advice on where to go to from here. Could there be a medical problem? There have been no changes in routine or other additions to the household.

Dear Anon

Sleeping with you on the bed is never a good idea, sounds like he is trying to be the boss as you treat him to think this way. Go and see a behaviourist.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-14

Where you go from here is straight to the vet. You give no information that would help anyone decide whether there is a medical problem. There may well be, but frankly, it sounds more behavioural to me - you don' t say who looked after the dog while you were gone, but it' s possible that his dominance has been awakened. If this is the case, you need some help with behaviour modification as well as your control over the dog... starting, I' m afraid, with NEVER allowing him onto your bed again. He must never get the better of you - and before you think this is unkind - it' s not. Dogs who know their place within the pack are happier and better adjusted. There are various techniques to achieve this - once your vet has ruled out a medical problem, ask him for the name of a behaviourist who can assist you - and please do this before the dog does anyone any damage.

Reply to Chill