Posted by: Wondering | 2009-05-16

agressive Boxers

My friend' s next door neighbour has 2 Boxers. They jump the fence + go 4 people passing in the street. Last week they bit a man + then came into my friend' s place + attacked his old Labrador. When he went to his dog' s aid they wanted 2 bite him so he sprayed them wet with the hose pipe + they ran away. I told him that I always thought that Boxers r not agressive dogs but just have a very high energy level. He was told by various people that they do tend to be agressive but I can' t believe this. Can somebody who knows the breed please give some input.

Dear Wondering

Breeds do not normally conform to every the breeders tell you.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-17

If a dog attacks someone in a public place (street), the owners are legally liable. If dogs enter someone' s fenced yard, and cause damage or injury, the owners are legally liable. If there are dangerous dogs around, who are not kept in a properly and effectively secure yard, then either the police or the SPCA are obliged to take action to protect the public. Someone ' not answering the doorbell'  doesn' t cut it - the police must call when the guy is at home - at 5 am, if necessary - and warn him to remedy the situation. OR - the SPCA must take the necessary steps to take the dogs into custody. There is no need for your friend to sit around like a rabbit caught in the headlights, waiting for disaster to strike - tell him to go talk to the cops and make it plain he wants to see some action.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Wondering | 2009-05-17

Thanx guys 4 your input. It does answer my question + confirms what I thought all along. The owners of these dogs r apparently also very agressive + abusive + want 2 know nothing about their animals. There are high fences + pallisading ( that the dogs clear) + the police + S.P.C.A. just get no response when they ring the bell. It seems 2b a case of the dogs being like their owners as nobody in the neighbourhood gets along with them.

Reply to Wondering
Posted by: WR | 2009-05-17

They can be aggressive etc. but your friend should contact the neighbour. The neighbour has a responsibility and that entails that his dogs ARE NOT allowed to get out and attack anybody.

The problem is not the fact that Boxers tend to be aggressive or not - the problem is the behaviour of the owner.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Carol | 2009-05-17

Any breed can become aggressive if given the right circumstances... and two boxers left alone in a yard with no excersise, no training and nothing to do will become a real problem.
Boxers arent aggressive , but because of their high energy levels they need training and a firm hand... my two boxers can be very aggro with strangers but are putty with babies cats and other animals.... with people they know they are fine .
Does that answer your question?

Reply to Carol