Posted by: neurosis | 2010-05-31

My psych wants to add 5 mg zyprexa to my 150 effexor xr for a anxiety disorder. Am already overwieght and dont want Diabetis or gain more weight wich is very likely with Zyprexa. Could an increase to 225 mg Effexor xr help, as I dont want to take Zyprexa.

I don't klnow of any good evidence for using a primarily anti-psychotic drug like Zyprexa in an anxiety disorder - as they are also sometimes classified as major tranquillizers, maybe if there's a concern about potential dependence on the commoner minor tranquillizers ( such as the benzo's like Ativan ) a shrink might use a drug like zyprexa because dependency is very unlikely on it.
Diabetes isn't, fortunately, "very likely" with zyprexa, and weight gain, annoyingly, appears in SOME people on a wide range of drugs, and not in others. This is really something you need to discuss with your prescribing shrink, who should explain his thinking and rationale to you. Some people get more agitated and anxious on Effexor, and increasing the dose of it is unlikely to reduce the anxiety symptoms you complain of.