Question
Posted by: vixen | 2009-03-11

Aggressive Tom Cat

I have a tom cat which I raised with a bottle from 7 days old (picked up in the veld), who is now 5 years old. Three years ago I bought a female tabby kitten with a very sweet nature. Since the moment she arrived, he has behaved very aggressively towards her, chasing and attacking her physically wherever he finds her. She is half his size and spends a lot of time hiding in neighbouring properties. I am constantly on the lookout for him and lock her up when I go out. He has been on a regimen of female hormone injections from my vet, which hasn' t solved the problem and I have stopped it recently. In all honesty, I love the female cat to distraction and cannot bear to get rid of her. She is very attached to me, as well. The male is very solitary and has been very aggressive with members of the household since he was a kitten, scratching and biting us, whenever he gets the opportunity. I have two older females cats (16 &  18 years old) and he leaves them alone. What can I do?

Dear Vixen

For starters get a Feliway diffuser. This should help to settle thing down.