Posted by: Karin | 2009-08-12

Aggressive Pekingese - Help

Good day. My question is not of a medical nature, but more about a behavioral nature. I have two pekingese pups. My male is now almost 5 months old and the female we got two days ago and she is now 8 weeks old. My problem is that my male is extremely possesive and jealous over his food, not even myself or my husband can touch him when he is at his food bowl then he wants to bite us. My son is two and half years old and unfortunately he has also been bitten by him because of it, nothing serious, but still!
The female is alot smaller than he is now and he is acting very dominant and ' bullying'  her. Also my biggest fear is that he would really hurt her when it comes to food. He already bit her once yesterday because she came too close to his bowl.
Please could you help me maybe with a sollution or anything that we could do to get him not to be so aggressive.
Thank you kindly.

Dear Karin

You have lots of problems. I think you should go and see a behaviourist.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-12

Some intensive training is what he needs - do NOT allow him to get away with behaviour like this. He' s only a small little dog - imagine if a St Bernard did this!

If you don' t know how, do some reading up - but best of all, take him to puppy classes. He' ll be socialised properly, learn how to behave around people and dogs, and most of all, you will learn how to tackle things like this.

Meantime please keep both your toddler and the new puppy away from him when he' s eating - allowing them nearby is just asking for trouble at this stage.

Reply to Chill