Posted by: Gen | 2009-01-06

Aggressive cat

Hi, my male 2-yr old cat is very aggressive towards other cats. He was neutered at the required age (we got him from the Spca). He has always been a wanderer and although we have high walls and have tried all sorts of tricks, it' s not possible to keep him in (we live in a complex). We even got him a sister hoping to keep him at home and while it helped a little and he is slowly beginning to accept her after 6 mths, he still goes out looking for trouble. He is always looking for other cats to fight with - even to the extent of going into their homes. He can be vicious and normally it is us and the other party sitting at the vet waiting for treatment and we frequently have had to pay for their consultation as well. We are home all the time, do not go out a lot and as we have no children we spend at least an hour or more each day playing with him, sitting with him in the garden - he gets a lot of attention and is well cared for. It is late at night usually when we are sleeping that he goes out. We have asked neighbours to discourage him if they see him by throwing water at him but this has had limited results and obviously I am beginning to worry that they are going to get frustrated and take more serious measures. What can I do to calm him down and keep him at home or so that he doesn' t want to fight all the time?

Dear Gen

Buy a feliway diffuser. Cats stay at home a lot more and tend to be a bit calmer.

Posted by: Gogga | 2009-01-11

I also have a cat like that, also in a complex. The fighting usually happens at night, so I just lock him up in the house at night. In the day they generally are too lazy to do much, just sleep in the garden.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-01-07

Hi Gen,

He sounds exactly like my ginger cat! (Whom I also got from the SPCA, but as an adult) The best is to keep him indoors at night and to get a Feliway defuser from the vet.

However, in my experience there' s not much you can do. I tried keeping him indoors all the time, but he turned into a completely different cat. He became aggressive towards us and later stopped eating - so after a year of keeping him indoors I had to let him out again. Finally after 4 years he went missing. My guess is that one of the neighbours simply got fed-up with him.
At least I know that I tried everything possible: I spent thousands to erect a cat proof fence, I installed a pet electric fence (The perrrfect fence), got him a sister but nothing worked.

I guess some of them are just born wonderers!

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2009-01-07

Maybe he was abused before the spca by humans, and then maybe bullied by other cats before he landed in the pound and in it. I' m eager to hear what CyberVet says about this angry garfield...

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom