Aggressive African Greys

I have two african greys. One is a timney and one is a congo. We don' t know the sex of the african greys.

They' ve been living together in the same (big) cage for a couple of years now. Suddenly, three days ago they started fighting, with the intend to really hurt each other. It got so bad that we had to separate the two. What can be the cause and how can we stop the fighting?

Dear Anon

Cant help you with this one, find a vet with a interest in birds.

Thank you very much for all the information. Much appreciated.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-30

Contact the Panorama petshop in Parow, they specialise in birds and should be able to give you the name of an avian vet in the northern suburbs - I know there is one there but I don' t have his details.

Alternatively, your local ' normal'  vet should also be able to assist.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: JP | 2009-09-30

I don' t know any vets who specialise in birds myself, but I know the guys at Perky Pets in Cape Gate know a lot about parrots and they also have numbers for a few vets. AFAIK there is a " Doctor Tom"  in Kuilsriver who is quite good.

Reply to JP

Dear Cybervet

Can you refer me to a good avian vet (or an association that will know) in and around the northern suburbs of Cape Town? It' s not easy to find an avian vet. Seems that everybody is more focused on dogs and cats.