Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/08/04

Aggression

Thank you so much for always giving such good advice.

Ozzy is not sterilized (neutered) so that could be why the other dogs show signs of aggression towards him.

Will def do the WATCH ME excercise and also learn to read other dogs more. I should have picked up that the other dog was ready for him.

Hope the bite dont scare.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kasandra, firstly it is a pleasure to help!. Please do seriously consider getting him sterilized, unless you are a 'professional' breeder all dogs should be sterilized. Apart from stopping unwanted pregancies, you reduce the possibility of 'marking' behaviour, prostrate can testicular cancer, the dog will listen and bond more to you, be less likely to roam and escape and above all it is fairer to a dog and apart from the sexual side, instances such as the fighting you expereienced above will be less ikely to occur. think about this - How would you feel if you were a guy with all the natural guy sexual urges (especially like a 16 year old )and you could see somebody like Angelina Jolie but be unable to touch or perform your natural instinct? A dog does not have sex for pleasure, it is only sexually motivated when it smells a bitch in season and then the dog loses all reason - he is intrinsically 'geared' to respond and react. This just causes total frustration for the dog, changes in behaviour 9not for the best) and often a break down in the human/canine relationship.Remember that a dogs sense of smell is over 45 times stronger than our own, which results in over 2million scent receptors more! He can smell a bitch in season miles away!
Finally, as a responsible owner it really is your only option. To allow him to have one mating is not professional - unless you have in-depth knowledge on the breed, genetics etc. There are just too many 'commercial' breeders out there that do this type of thing, especially the 'commercial' breeder who tells you not to sterilize your dog as he has just sold you the best of the litter and he will use the dog for mating - Hah! tell me another!!! Any professional breeder would never consider giving you a dog to be used for mating (he would keep the best for himself or to sell to another 'professional' breeder) and, in fact, would insist that as a responsible owner and to keep the genetics in place, you would 'have' to sterilize.
SORRY, I am getting a bit carried away, but unfortunately I (and others like me) end up trying to sort out the problems caused by commercial and irresponsible breeding. Anyway, think I have said enough for now! Good luck and really was nice to hear back from you, do practice the Watch whether you sterilize or not - wonderful tool to have for all dogs. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/05

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert