Posted by: ted mcdonald | 2009-08-25

age related max heart rate

I am aged 76 and want to cuculated my max heart, resting rate 45-47 train on turbo holding 145 for 10mins in sets

Plerase advise

HI Ted

Difficult one - my advice, if you haven't already had this done, is to actually go for a medical check to see what your blood pressure is doing during that exercise. When there is a heart concern (which is why I am assuming you are worried about the max heart rate and your heart rate), then it's always picked up with the combination of blood pressure and ECG measurements

There is no reason why the 145 should be a problem, because some people do have higher heart rates than others. They would say that your max would be somewhere around 150bpm, based on your age, which would suggest that the 145 is high. However, like I said, we're all different and maybe your value is just higher than some other people's.

So the only answer is that you'd need to actually measure it, and know exactly what was going on when you train.