Posted by: Michelle | 2011-04-22

Age &  Yoga

Thank you so much for your advice on the Bihar Yoga Bharati Institute in India, the reseach I''ve done on the internet has only positive things to say about the school. The only thing is that I''m a female of 57 years old. Would the institute be inclined to reject my application because of my age. Although I don''t have much experience in Yoga, I''m very healthy and fairly gym fit. What is the average age of the student there? I really would like to study spiritual yoga in india at the right place but I don''t want to feel like a fish out of water. Thanks so much, your advice would be appreciated, as well as any more info you could give me on the Bihar Institute.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Michelle,
Sorry for the delayed reply we have been away. Age will not be any barrier, in fact traditionally according to yoga, you are at the age where spiritual practices and yoga are taken up. Satyananda yoga is a gentle style emphasizing awareness and you practice it to the level that your body is able to, which will change over time. Yoga Postures (asana) constitute a very small part of the whole body of knowledge, so you will also experience a greater and deeper picture of the wonderful path of yoga, including breathing, meditation, bhakti, service, and work. More info on Bihar yoga institute can be found at and follow links to various ashrams and places around the world and read some articles. I know that there is a 4 month course that is run in the Munger Ashram, and shorter courses also being run at the Rikhia ashram.

Hope this helps.