Question
Posted by: Wife | 2009-01-22

Again?

My husband does not use alcohol for 2 months now, after he drank heavily for a long time. After I put an ultimatum to him, he visited the GP who prescribed the following, morning, 20mg cilift, ,5mg alzam, 1 besobrial. 4pm 2 besobrial. 6pm 50 mg trepeline ,5mg alzam. Bedtime 1mg alzam 1mg santoz flunitrans. lately he is complaining about not feeling well and accused all the drugs for it. Does besobrial has any effects? However I suspect that he wants to go back to his old habit of drinking. Can we adjust the medication to let him feel better? What do I do when he wants to start again - another ultimatum? NS. He is 61 years and refuses to go for therapy.

Cilift is an antidepressant, handy IF he was and is Depressed. Alzam is an over-used sedative tranquiillizer, but can be useful when giving up heavy alcohol intake, to reduce the risk of DTs, but once one has safely withdrawn from the alcohol a few months, it may not be necessary long-term.
Besobrial is acamprosate, an excellent newish drug, very helpful in aiding someone in giving up alcohol, and it also reduces the risk of relapse. Trepiline is another, older, antidepressant, and I'm not sure why he would need both ; but as it is fairly sedative, the doc may be using it to help him sleep, rather than using sleeping meds to which one is more likely to become dependent. Sounds to me like a bit much of the Alzam ( though one would, like alcohol, need to reduce that gradually rather than suddenly ) ; and the Flunitrazepam is a sleeping pill, and related to the Alzam.
Hard to kno which of these, alone or in com,bination, might relate to his not feeling well, as you don't mention i what we he feels unwell. Discuss it with his doc, I'd think he might not need the Trepiline or the Alzam or FLunitrazepam buy now ; the Besobrial might be the most valuable to remain on to reduce the risk of relapse of the alcoholism. Some counselling or AA work would have been useful to, but maybe that's the "treatment" he doesn't want to accept.

1

What happens if you take besobrial and have a drink. Is this tablet suppose to help you stop. So must I take it to help stop drinking