Question
Posted by: Angela | 2012-08-20

After Sex Bleeding

I truly hope you can help me. My sex life has really been under strain. I have been married for 12 years and we have a 4 year old. Fr the past 2 years i have been bleeding and i started noticing that this would happen after sex most of the time. I have soulght medical help from my Gynae but i still bleed. After a DD& C (hope thats the correct Acronym) where my womb was scrapped to remove a polyp. Then a yeast infestion treatment 6 weeks ago i am still bleeding now. How do i stop this? Its very frustrating for both my husband and myself. Right now i dread going to bed really. By the way its not about position because we have tried different ones and the result is the same.

I hope you can help me.

Angela, this sounds very much more of a gynaecological issue rather than a sexual one...I recommend that you repost your question on Health 24's Gynae expert forum.

I have no doubt that it impacts on sex though. There are two interrelated issues here. Firstly, if you bleed after sex, in what way is it a problem for you (if the gynae is satisfied that this is not a significant health concern)? In otherwords, if it's is not problematic, you should be able to engage in penetrative intercourse and use precautions (e.g. towel) to protect bedding. And secondly, are you able to consider including alternative sexual activities in order to maintain intimacy but manage the bleeding (eg. sexual stimulation in other ways).

Claire - SASHA
For further information please consult SASHA’s website at www.sexualhealth.qw.co.za/dru For referral to a professional in your vicinity, please send an email to helpline.sasha@gmail.com

3
Posted by: Mandi | 2012-08-24

Please can you advise, I have had intercorse twice in the last year and I have noticed that during intercourse I am bleeding it is not much and must be when I orgasim, blood a lot lighter than normal blood, and i have never had this problem before.

Please can you advise.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Max | 2012-08-20

I Have heard of this on a talk radio show and most of the people that phoned in with this sort of problem found that it was related to the contriceptive pill.
I Would suggest trying to go off completly and take precautions with condoms for a month or so and see if the problem persists. If it stops you have then found the cuplrit.
PS on the talk show most problems such as dryness, decreased libido, and bleeding were related to the contriceptive pill. The Prof recomended the coil as an alternative as this hass no associated hormones. These problems could persist well into menopause even when one stops taking the pill.
Try to get another gyne opinion.

Reply to Max
Posted by: Sexologist | 2012-08-20

Claire - SASHA

Reply to Sexologist