Question
Posted by: Louisa | 2010-08-23

After Pregnancy excercise

Hi doc

I am now 30 weeks pregnant. Just want to find out when will I be able to start my workouts (after the birth) as I did before I got pregnant?

I used to do 45 min of heavy cardio and 20 min weights.

If I am breastfeeding will this " hard workout"  be dangerous to my baby?

Do you suggest any workout plan to make me loose the baby fat quick! Am I allowed to use any supplements as I used Ripped Hardcore before the pregnancy.

Louisa

Hi Louisa

The basic answer is as soon as you're able to and feel up to it. There's obviously no point rushing it - you'll have a fair amount to deal with after the birth of a child, so getting fitness back is probably not the main priority!

That said, the sooner the better, but not to force it! You will have to ease your way back in, because you'll lose some fitness over the last 6 to 10 weeks of pregnancy, and so just take some time getting back there. It woudl be unrealistic to launch into the same training you left off with.

As for danger, no, no risk to the baby of training. The risk is yours - injury and burnout, which are problems that can happen to anyone, regardless of pregnancy.

I would steer clear of supplements, though, especially stuff like that, which is never tested for safety. There's no telling what they may do to both you and the baby. Maybe nothing, maybe a lot. Better safe there than sorry.

Just be patient, the only thing that happens if you rush it is that you get injured about 4 weeks in, then you'll be forced to sit out 4 more weeks and next thing you know it's 2011 and you still haven't started. So take small steps now and you'll get there. And stay off the supplements!
ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-08-27

Hi Louisa

ross

Reply to fitnessdoc