Posted by: Nikki | 2008-12-23

After piles surgery symptoms

Dear Doctor
In 2002 after a ceasarian section my usually pea sized hemrroiids became inflamed and were the size of two small plums. My gynaecologist advised surgical intervention, of which the surgeon opted to remove them completely. After this surgery, and after excruciating pain, these area has heald and I was relieved that the lumps have been removed. However, nobody warned me about the following side effects which seem permanent:
1. After passing stools, I use a whole toilet roll in order to wipe the area as it takes numerous wipes before it is clean
2. Seeping takes place after I have passed stools which means I need to visit the toilet two or three times after passing stools to wipe the area again
3. I pass wind involuntarily and this is very embarassing as I cannot always control it and it is sometimes very smelly

I was also involved in a bad MVA crash in 2003, and suffered a dislocated hip which after all the complications and injuries have subsided, I noticed marked increase in the involuntary passing of winds which are more difficult to control. None of the doctors I have been to are able to help me, except give me medication to make the stools more runny in order for " everything"  to be removed. However, this doesnt make a difference as I still wipe endlessly after passing stools. Please can you advise me how to minimise the symptoms mentioned above, and whether the dislocation of my hip had ripped some internal tissue near the vaginl/anus area which weakened my " pinching"  abiliities?

Hi Nikki
the soft tissue around the anus causes anal "flaps" which helps the anus close properly after a stool. It may be that these flaps or the ring muscle were injured during the operation. I think you should try and see a gastroenterologist that is also a surgeon ( if you let me know if which area you live I can try and give you some names) They may be able to treat the incontinence with a small operation.
Try using probiotics and pancreoflat 3 times a day for the winds