Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2008/07/08

After effects of Bilharzia infestation

Dear Cyberdoc
My son became infested with Bilharzia when travelling in Africa in 2000 - he was treated when he returned to the UK ( after being tested for bladder cancer as UK docs didn't recognise the symptoms) he was told the "cure" was 100% effective and was not retested. He started passing blood in his urine and feeling lousy in Sept 2007 after endless further tests he was treated for Bilharzia 3 months ago. He has had 3 or 4 occasions since when he has passed blood p.u. The Docs say the dead eggs in the bladder are causing "inflammation" hence the odd bleeding. I remain concerned and feel he needs to consult an expert at our hospital for tropical diseases and would welcome your opinion and advice. Thank you in advance. jenny

Hi Jenny
Yes I agree with you - Bilharzia can stay dormant and flare up from time to time if not properly treated - they need to maybe give more than one treatment and follow up with Blood tests to ensure that the disease is indeed healed.
See also http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-824-1855,11782.asp

4
Posted by: victor | 2013/06/25

dear madam, can bilhazia be treated by itself without taking any medications. I once had bilhazia, that is found blood in my urine without treatining it but as time passed by the blood no longer seen. Am i safe and dont get any symtoms too.

Reply to victor
Posted by: Jenny | 2008/07/11

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: CD again | 2008/07/10

There is an IGG and IGM bilharzia blood test they can do

Reply to CD again
Posted by: Jenny | 2008/07/09

Thank you Doctor Bets
Can you tell me what blood test is diagnostic - we have been told the only way to check if the diease is active is to repeat the cystoscopy.
Jenny

Reply to Jenny