Question
Posted by: Reg | 2010/07/12

After effects of a fractured femur

I had a motor vehicle accident last year, I fractured my right femur and had a internal fixation done at a popular hospital in Durban on 24 June 2009. I was at home until December 2009 and still walked with help of a crutch.

After my consultation with the Ortho Pae Surgeon in February 2010, he mentioned that my condition required a further op - open reduction internal fixation, and bone craft and removal of existing nail in femur plate and replaced with a nail of a different diameter.

I am 100 % healed but have no feeling in my operated my right tigh (the outer half of the tigh from top to under. I have brought this to the attention of the Ortho Pae Surgeon several times and he has constantly told me that he does not know why I getting this sensation. He mentioned that this could be a pinched nerve.

I still walked with a limp, without a crutch and have severe pain at times in the affected area and knee.

Question..

1) How can I rectify this feeling?
2) Will the limp go away?
3) Can I be medically borded, for the pinched nerve?

Reg

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Reg
The best person to answer all those questions are the doctor who operated and if you still need more info, you should get a second opinion- it does sound like a nerve though, and you can get a neurosurgeon to have a look. Regarding being boarded- you would have to undergo several tests to first determine why you have pain and are still limping. Ask your doctor to refer you to either a neurologist (who can do nerve conduction tests)or neurosurgeon. It may be that the nerve is pinched in the back, but you need to see the appropriate doctor for that.

2
Posted by: zandi | 2010/07/20

I have atacked by people ,my head was injured such that i was un consouce for 3 months and myjows was broken.so my dentist waired me,and the problem is  i cant work on my own only with chraches and when i chew food my jows are pain full.So what courses not to work properly?

thanks

Reply to zandi
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2010/07/13

Dear Reg

Reply to Healthy Bones